Valentine’s Day is one of my favorite holidays. The love in the air makes everything seem a little brighter and a little more joyful especially in the midst of winter. While Valentine’s may look a bit different this year due to the pandemic, there is no reason to not take advantage of the delicious flavor combinations that Valentine’s Day provides.
Strawberry and dark chocolate are a perfect Valentine’s flavor combination and these cookies deliver. Cookies are such a delicious and easy treat. Sandwich cookies are the best of both worlds. They are fancier than your average cookies but are easy to make and don’t require many extra steps. Enter Gluten-free Dark Chocolate Strawberry Sandwich Cookies. I wanted to make these cookies for my brother who loves all things strawberry. Once he ate three cartons of strawberries in a day! He loved this recipe and has eaten at least half the batch over the last two days. This recipe is perfect for sharing with those you love and it is guaranteed to satisfy everybody’s sweet tooth.
Do set aside some time for these cookies, as they require extra cooling in order to get the perfect consistency and texture. Enjoy and tag us if you make these on instagram @flourlessfiesta and check out our pinterest @flourlessfiesta!
Ingredients for Cookies:
- 1 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
Ingredients for Strawberry Filling
- 8 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces strawberry cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons strawberry jam
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Add in the eggs, one egg at a time, and vanilla extract and mix until creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and mix until everything is combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder. Once mixed, add to the mixing bowl in three parts, mixing and scraping down the sides after each addition. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Scoop out balls of around 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of dough and place on the prepared cookie sheet, leaving space between. Cook for 10 minutes, the tops will look pale. Allow for the cookies to cool on the pan for 5 minutes as they will be very soft. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling for around 7-10 minutes.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the icing. Place butter and cream cheese into the mixer and mix together until creamy. Add jam and vanilla extract and continue beating until creamy. Finally, add in the powdered sugar and mix until the icing is creamy.
- Take two cooled cookies, and spoon a tablespoon of icing in between. Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to serve.
Enjoy and tag us @flourlessfiesta on instagram if you make this!