try saying the title of this recipe five times fast! that’s the real challenge, not this recipe.
in honor of father’s day, I wanted to share a take on my dad’s favorite dessert, bread pudding. this was such a fun recipe to make with my mom, and my brother for my dad. the rich chocolatey custard combines perfectly with the gluten free bread. the elegance of the bourbon-caramel on top is the perfect addition.
tag us when you make this! @flourlessfiesta on instagram and pinterest
ingredients: bread pudding
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cup dairy-free milk
- 1 cup dairy-free cream
- 6 large eggs, made with an egg replacer
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 loaf sweet gluten-free bread, bread cut into 1-inch dice
- Unsweetened dairy-free whipped cream, for serving
ingredients: bourbon caramel sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy dairy-free cream
- A splash of bourbon
recipe: chocolate bread pudding
- Butter an 8-by-11-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, microwave the chocolate at high power in 20-second intervals until melted, stirring between intervals.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk and cream to a simmer over moderately high heat. In a large bowl, whisk the egg mixture with 1/4 cup of the sugar, the vanilla and salt. Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture, then whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Mix the bread cubes and the custard mixture in a bowl, until the cubes are evenly coated. Pour the cubes into the baking pan. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar over the bread pudding. Set the baking dish in a roasting pan and fill the pan halfway with hot water. Bake the bread pudding for 50 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove the dish from the water bath and let stand for 20 minutes. Serve the bread pudding warm or at room temperature with the Bourbon Caramel Sauce and whipped cream. enjoy!
recipe: bourbon caramel sauce
- In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, water and corn syrup to a boil over high heat. Cook until the sugar is dissolved, the color should be darker than peanut butter. Continue cooking, without stirring, about 1 minutes or until an amber caramel forms. Remove from the heat, and mix, so the caramel doesn’t burn and carefully stir in the cream. Let cool for 1 minute, then stir in the bourbon. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Let the caramel sauce cool slightly and serve warm or at room temperature. enjoy!